Police have reported a man for theft after he stole an elderly woman's purse in Cleve at the weekend.
At about 10am on Saturday March 21, a woman was shopping at the supermarket on Main Street when she placed her purse on a shelf for a short time so she could free both hands to collect some items she needed.
It was during this time that a man took the purse and stole cash from inside before returning the purse to the shelf.
Police attended the supermarket to view the CCTV footage, where they were able to identify the suspect.
A 43-year-old Cowell man has been reported, was issued with a barring from the store and will be summoned to appear in court at a later date.
Police recovered the stolen money and returned it to the victim.
Police have also issued the following reminders to the public to help stop opportunistic thieves:
- Don't carry large amounts of money and never display how much money you have in your wallet or purse.
- Keep your bag, wallet and mobile phone where you can see them at all times and don't leave them unattended.
- When shopping use the child safety harness to help secure your handbag to the trolley.
- Carry your bag securely on the side furthest from the road. Never let the strap hang loosely.
- Shoulder strapped bags should be worn across your body. If someone attempts to grab your bag, it is best to let go, to avoid injury.
- Secure your bag in your car before loading or unloading your shopping.