Port Lincoln win sixth Horgan Shield title

Horgan Shield

DOMINANT: Port Lincoln won the Horgan Shield for the sixth time on Sunday. Names in story.

DOMINANT: Port Lincoln won the Horgan Shield for the sixth time on Sunday. Names in story.

Port Lincoln 10/115 def Eastern Eyre 10/28

PORT Lincoln claimed the Horgan Shield for a record equalling sixth time in a dominant display against Eastern Eyre on Sunday.

The visitors won the toss and elected to field and the Centenary turf came up nicely for a second day of cricket.

Port Lincoln opening batsmen Mitch Jude and Hamish Newman strode to the crease against the combination of Schumann and Evans.

The home side was away to a flyer as both opening batsmen punished the loose ball and took the score to 38 in the ninth over.

However a bowling change, Eastern Eyre had immediate success with McCallum finding his way through Newman’s defences.

Jude was joined by George Wilks and the two felt the pressure of some tight bowling from the Eastern Eyre attack as they strung together five maidens in a row.

The two started to push the score along but when Wilks survived a close leg before wicket shout, Jude attempted a quick single, only to be sent back and run-out by a metre.

Skipper Brodie Drewitt strode to the crease for what would be a match winning innings.

He provided the backbone of the home side innings as he made a mature 35 runs from 108 deliveries.

McCallum, Evans and Taheny for the visitors were bowling a tight line and length and making scoring difficult.

With eight overs remaining, the home side scraped their way to 109 when Drewitt eventually fell, however the Port Lincoln faithful were hoping to be further ahead in the run tally.

The tail failed to wag as the Eastern Eyre attack continued to dominate and wrap up the inning for 115 and taking some handy momentum into luncheon.

Evans led the attack with 3/23 off of his 10 overs and was ably supported by the leg spin of Taheny with the figures of 1/14 and Schubert taking 2/17 off his 10 overs.

The home side had to start well and not let the Eastern Eyre openers settle and with captain Drewitt and Max Coote opening they were off to the best possible start.

Drewitt bowled with good pace and kept his first over tight and then Coote gave his team-mates the best possible start as his first delivery clean bowled dangerous Schubert.

It was in the eighth over when Coote struck again to find the edge of Cooper Llewlyn’s bat as he was well caught in the gully by Isaac Grima for six.

Drewitt then joined the party as he found the edge of Max Ramsey’s bat and George Wilks took a blinder of a diving catch.

McCallum was Drewitt’s next victim as he was beaten for pace and had his middle stump rattled. Drewitt then claimed his third wicket when Taheney edged the ball to a great diving catch from keeper Madden and the visitors were in trouble at 6/15.

Things went from bad to worse as a double bowling change brought more horror for the tourists as George Wilks dismissed Evans, caught by Drewitt and then very next ball trapped Bammann plumb in front for a first ball duck.

Eastern Eyre opener Turner had dug in at the other end and watched eight wickets fall but refused to give in.

The game was wrapped up in convincing fashion when Wilks claimed the last wicket of Newlyn, clean bowled for a duck as Easten Eyre were rolled for a miserly 28 runs.

A great effort from a super-talented Port Lincoln side that dominated in all three matches of the Horgan Shield this season, winning the final by 87 runs.