72-point win for Kimba

A GRADE: Ports' Bayley Dunning kicks the ball in their 72-point loss to Kimba.

A GRADE: Ports' Bayley Dunning kicks the ball in their 72-point loss to Kimba.

Eastern Eyre football

Ports lost to Kimba

PORTS travelled to Kimba on Saturday for a much-anticipated A grade clash.

With the second chance on the line and the sides matching up evenly, spectators were hoping for a good game.

Ports’ reserves showed the way with an impressive 30-point win over the ladder leaders and Kimba will need all personnel available to go deep into the finals.

The big game started at a frantic pace and the body clashes were at times brutal.

Kimba jumped out of the box early and had two on the board in quick succession but Ports slowed the game and started to block Kimba’s half forward line and for the last half of the quarter controlled the ball to manage two goals of their own. Quarter time score was Kimba 2-3 to Ports 2-1.

The second quarter saw Kimba’s runners get going, S. Haskett was having a great dual with T. Bishop in the ruck and many of the ball ups where contested evenly.

However, Kimba’s on-ball brigade of Maitland, R. Rayson and M. Vandeleur (who stepped in after his brother went off injured) were in everything.

Up forward Kimba had plenty of options and for the first time in a long time had an even spread of goal kickers.

Ports’ defence was working overtime with Z. Fitzgerald showing how good he is at reading the play and taking a contested mark.

Kimba finished the quarter with seven goals to two and headed to the long break with a handy six-goal lead.

The third quarter continued similarly with many players getting involved in the physicality of the match. Harrowfield, Dodd and Campbell were trying everything to lift their team through the middle and S. Masters and Fitzgerald were battling hard down back but Kimba’s forwards were playing unselfish footy and were not concerned who kicked the goals as long as they were going through.

A huge clash with all players having eyes on the footy saw D. Inglis stretchered off with a broken jaw.

Kimba were urged to finish their good game off and they did not disappoint.

Seal, Redden and Larwood shared the ball and finished with three goals each while Dart chipped in with two.

For Ports, T. Davey kicked four and his duel with J. Kemp was one to watch.

The game finished with Kimba running out 72-point winners.

For Kimba, R. Rayson was best on ground with three goals and not far behind were Bone, Maitland and D. Rayson. Kimba gained a huge advantage with B.Clements returning to play a full game down back and along with Kemp and Freeth set up a lot of Kimba’s forward movement.

For Ports Richardson was easily their best and T. Davey was good up forward with four goals.

Dodd and Welfare got plenty of the footy and Bishop was serviceable in the ruck.