VICTOR HARBOR – SA Health has advised that although a batch of pork pies and Ascot pies from a Victor Harbor business has been linked to a Salmonella outbreak, no other products were affected by a recall.
Five cases of Salmonella have been linked to pork pies and Ascot pies made by Victor Harbor business The Pork Pie Shop.
Four of the five people diagnosed with Salmonella were hospitalised. Those affected are aged between 54 and 80 years old.
SA Health’s food and controlled drugs director Dr Fay Jenkins said about 30 businesses including independent supermarkets, delis, and butchers across metropolitan Adelaide stocked the pies.
“The business has since ceased the manufacturing of both products until further notice and is working to recall the pies,” Dr Jenkins said.
“We are working with the manufacturer to ensure the pies will be removed from supply from all stockists as soon as possible.”
Dr Jenkins said no other products made by The Pork Pie Shop were affected by the recall.
People who have either product should not eat it – either discard it immediately or return it to where it was bought.
“As a precaution, SA Health recommends anyone who has pork or Ascot pies in their home to contact the place of purchase to confirm if the product is from The Pork Pie Shop,” Dr Jenkins said.
“Products from other manufacturers will be safe to consume and there is no reason for people to be concerned.”
Biosecurity SA and SA Health are running a joint investigation.
“We’re working with Biosecurity SA to put together a ‘return to production plan’. Once we’ve done that we’ll work with the business to get them back into production as soon as we can,” Dr Jenkins said.
Salmonella can be a serious infection and symptoms include fever, diarrhoea, loss of appetite, headache, stomach cramps, and nausea and vomiting.
These can be experienced up to 72 hours after consumption and can last from three to seven days. If symptoms develop, see a GP or doctor.
For more information about the recall, visit www.foodstandards.gov.au