SA budget 2017-18: No details yet on energy plan

Premier: Jay Weatherill. Photo: Peri Strathearn.
Premier: Jay Weatherill. Photo: Peri Strathearn.

South Australia's energy plan is "on track", but Treasurer Tom Koutsantonis remained tight-lipped about where new infrastructure would be built when he revealed South Australia's budget for 2017-18.

A shortlist of candidates to build the cornerstone of the plan, a state-owned gas power plant, has been drawn up based on 31 expressions of interest.

But Mr Koutsantonis said their responses were still being evaluated.

The "final stages of the procurement process" were underway for a 100-megawatt battery, he said, again based on a shortlist which whittled down 90 expressions of interest.

He said the battery was still on track to be installed and operating by December 1.

He did not name a date by which the power plant would be built.

Still, he remained buoyant about the plan's ability to deliver a better electricity supply to South Australian households and businesses.

"The plan is already working," he said.

"Global companies have turned their attention to South Australia as they seek to construct our new generator and grid-scale battery.

"AEMO (the Australian Energy Market Operator), in its latest report under new CEO Audrey Zibelman, has shown our energy plan will greatly improve the security of electricity supply in South Australia."

Mr Koutsantonis had previously suggested more details would be forthcoming when the budget was revealed.

This story SA budget 2017-18: No details yet on energy plan first appeared on The Murray Valley Standard.